Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Inspiration at its finest...

So Christmas is over... a month of hustle and bustle for one day that ends as quick as it begins. Now don't get me wrong I love Christmas, it is the one time of the year that encourages giving more than recieving (for the most part). Well Christmas has changed for me since I have gotten older. First of all, I no longer make a list of things I "gotta have", now it is just things that I need (of course there are some wants here and there). Second, now I enjoy the things around the holidays that are more intangible (family, friends, "the small things"). Third I have a better understanding of the phrase it is better to give than to receive. I guess I am beginning to learn again the "true meaning of Christmas"( no matter how cliche it sounds).
So I am a sucker for giving gifts and this year I felt "inspired" to give picture frames with pictures in them. For me it was like giving memories in a decorative frame. Well it was a good idea at the time so I thought but my gift didn't go over to well with some people. At first I thought it was because they didn't like the gift but that was not the case. Although the picture frames and pictures were a nice gesture; everyone is not me and they might not like the reminence on the "memories" as much as I do (I love pictures and picture frames). This helped me learn when you give you have to think about the person you are giving the gift to. Since it is something that is for them it must fit their style. In the past years I have picked some gifts out and they went over very well, why? Because I catered to the needs/wants of that particular person. So what does this tell me, while it is the thought that counts, make sure you are thinking about what really counts.
Sometimes it is the small things in life that make the best gifts. Don't just limit your gift-giving to a certain day in the year, all year around is a good time. And sometimes your presence is more valuable than any present. ;-]

1 comment:

Raquel said...

jailyn, gotta talk to you dear. i cant believe im here in the states and still cant find the time to sit down and catch up with my roomie, but like you said its a time for family and im honestly enjoying it. ttysoon. take care