Friday, October 29, 2010

Back to real life

So for a while I was caught up in the mystical world of Twitter. It was fun while it lasted, but soon the 'funness' started to wear off. Don't get me wrong I love some of the people I meet, some of the relationships that were established on there. And occasionally I go back to visit and just shoot the breeze. However, it's not the escape it used to be. For a time I thought I needed an escape from 'real life.' I just needed a place to go and get away from it all. A place where making 'friends' was much easier. And I was able to do that will Twitter. I was able to express myself any way I wanted to for people who didn't know me from Adam. It was a very freeing experience. But somewhere my escape became too much like real life. The closer you to get people the more they are able to hurt you and exposing yourself becomes more risky. Things on twitter became complicated. People's personalities started to show...people clashed...attitudes collided. So I took my queue and bowed out.

There are several reasons why I have chosen to spend less time on twitter and doing other things, but the one that sticks out in my mind is my need to take more control over my life. I realized while I was 'escaping' life was passing me by. Yes, I was accomplishing things, but I was going through the motions and not living in the moment. I know I've said several times that people think I have things together and at times I am glad it looks that way, but it is hard work. It's a constant struggle for me to be more and do more. My need to continuously grow comes with all the growing pains. However it is what allows me to, hopefully, defy mediocrity. I refuse to settle for the here and now because it's here and now.

1 comment:

Monique said...

I've learned to take regular breaks when it comes to Twitter. I don't share too much personal stuff and I try not to take too much personally. After all, it is a social networking site(aka chatroom) and you never REALLY know who you may be talking to. But that's the risk you take with everything in life and have to use your best judgement on how to proceed. I do miss you around there but there are other ways of contacting you. :)