Thursday, February 04, 2010

Friendliness = Friends

'A man that hath friend must show himself friendly...' Proverbs 18:24...my mom's favorite quote once we moved from Chicago to Atlanta and I complained about having no friends. The saying still rings clear in my head as I have gone through life and made several adjustments in my friendships.

I've gone through a couple changes and life adjustments...in 8th grade we moved from Chicago to Atlanta. This was the most devastating thing that could have happened in my 13 year old life (-_- )...Sophomore year in high school I realized being with the 'cool' kids wasn't as 'cool' as I thought it would be...so more changes...Sophomore year in college I realized that I was growing up and putting away childish things were necessary and so that is what I did...I put away childish 'friendships.' Now out of college and married, my quest for truly meaningful friendships that enhance my life is on...

Honestly I feel like I'm just making acquaintances not friends. Do I need to be friendly to make those? Does that mean I am not friendly enough? Should I be friendlier? Ok, so I'm losing focus, but at times that's how I feel...Anyway all this has led me to these 2 questions and has caused much reflection...What kind of friend I am? What kind of friend I have been?

I could write a list of accomplishments and failures that have made me the world's best and/or worst friend. But the truth is that is up to those who consider me a 'friend' to decide and for now I rest with the contentment that being friendly can only gain me friends...

2 comments:

NikkiNicole said...

I feel the same way about Nashville. I have no true friends. I have mostly family as friends and a few sprinkled around the u.s. I blame it on the clique mentality among the young population here in Nashville. But also deep friendships takes time to grow.

Theo said...

What is a true friend? I find that my undergrad friends are usually 'true', but I don't talk to them often. Sometimes I think I don't allow myself to have 'true' friends now. Not sure why, but I think that they know less about me. Does that make them not a true friend?

I feel that as you age friendship takes on different meanings. So, I'd say that I have 'true' friends in Ohio, but maybe I don't even acknowledge them because past friendships have seemed closer. I don't know...ramblings of my brain. However, I want you to know that 24-35 year olds across the nation have some of the same issues.