Thursday, August 11, 2005

"The Road Not Taken"

One of my favorite poems is "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. For those of you not familiar with this poem you can read it at http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html. Frost is stuck in a dilemma because he must choose the path best for him. Both of the roads look just about the same except for the fact that one is more worn than the other. This tells Frost that one was more traveled than the other. After weighing his options Frost chooses the one less traveled and says "and that has made all the difference." Why did Frost chose the path less traveled? I mean maybe the path traveled by many could have has the same effect on his life. Why is he sorry he could not travel both? Why does he say it with a sigh?

My friend asked me the "million dollar question" today. She asked me a question everyone had just been assuming the answer to. After she asked the question I realized I was in the same dilemma Frost was in, in his poem. I am at the division of two roads. I have already traveled one and the other I have not. I am not sure if I want to travel the same road again for fear that it might lead me back to the same place. So then it would seem simple then, chose the one you never traveled before. But what if the one I am familiar with has taken on new scenery and a surprising twist? Maybe when I traveled the road the first time I was not adequately prepared? The other road I have not traveled presents itself with new opportunities but I only be taking it to get away from the first road. What if they both lead to the same destiny ?

Whatever road I chose I'll make sure that will make all the difference. ;-)

2 comments:

Raquel said...

Very well said Jailyn.

Raquel said...

ah ha, you thought you had 2 comments, lol. Sike, i'm j/k For real though, I forgot to tell you to be true to yourself last night. Live for you because your happiness is all that matters in the end. Shoot for no regrets.